Spoiler Alert

WARNING - I have read the books multiple times. If you have NOT read the books, please note that I give information away in my dialog. I may note in comments from book one information I learned from book four, so if you don't want to know - you may want to come back after you have read the books.

Friday, August 24, 2012

Book 1 - Prince of Wolves - Chapter 17


Chapter 17


My Thoughts:

After Fane and Jacque finish admitting to one another that they think the other is hot; things start to fall into place. Now Jacque is caught off guard by Sorin standing in the house and later on by her two best friends being there. I’m guessing that she was so caught up in her thoughts from all that was happening and the hotness of Fane that she didn’t notice 3 cars in front of her house. Granted, QL doesn’t tell us the cars are there, but in previous statements we know the girls drove there in their car, and we know that Sorin was renting a car when he got to the airport. So there were 2 possibly 3 cars…but I digress.

Now I read somewhere that someone didn’t like all the internal dialog that takes place, I’ve also read that some people do not like the amount of dialog period that take place in TGWS…I personally love it. My family is a chatty bunch, we tend to say what we are thinking, and I know that I have a lot of internal dialog, so to me this is normal. It is also, IMHO some of the funniest internal dialog, also reminding me of my family.

I must give Lilly props for being completely open and honest with her daughter over not wanting to tell her the truth about her heritage. She could have said she was waiting until she was 18 or a number of other things; instead she just says:

“Actually, no. I wasn’t planning on telling you as long as it never affected you. I figured there was no reason to add confusion to the pain of your father leaving.”

Considering what she has just been told, Jacque responds pretty well. She of course has to learn what the realities of being a werewolf actually is since what she knows is all fairytale.  Here is where she finds out that Jennifer and Sally are still there at the request of Lilly. Again, props to Lilly for thinking ahead and having her daughter’s support system there and ready to help Jacque process the information that just turned her world upside down.

Once Jacque gets the information processing, it dawns on her that Fane has referred to her as his mate. Now I’m not entirely sure why at this point Fane looks deflated, well I mean it is explained that the thought of her not wanting him is more than he can bear but I’m not sure why he went straight to that conclusion. Is it just the insecurity that comes with being 17 years old? Is it that he is concerned that this is just too much new information to process for her, that not being from his world she is automatically going to reject his way of life and do what she wants? I would think that a lot of thoughts went swirling through Jacque’s mind as she was processing everything and trying to suss out how she felt, I’m sure there were probably a few thoughts that scared Fane.

Unfortunately for Jacque the one thing she asks for is the one thing she cannot have. Isn’t that always the case? She wants some time to sort through things and really get a grasp on what she is feeling. Fane has to tell her the rest of what is going on and that is where QL decided to leave us…

Favorite Lines:

“I guess I’m as good as can be expected. Don’t be alarmed if I freak out or have a meltdown, it will pass,” she told him with only a small amount of teasing in her voice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacque closed her eyes and concentrated on her breathing. In and out, in and out. Whatever it is, whatever he tells you, you will not cower in a corner and shake like a frightened puppy, she told herself firmly. No, but I make no promises that I won’t pass out from shock. There is no shame in passing out, it’s simply the brain’s way of saying 'hold the stink up, I need to process this mess'. Jacque smiled at her monologue, wondering if other people talked to themselves like that. Probably not, but everyone’s got something, right?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Fane, you can’t possibly be embarrassed by thinking I’m hot. I practically drool all over you every time I see you. I should be the one embarrassed,” she confessed to him.
“Are you?” Fane asked.
“I guess maybe I should be, but throw me a bone, you are freaking hot. I can’t change that so I’m embracing it.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, Jacque thought, I’m fixing to have a two-year-old moment.
“MOM!” Jacque yelled, “WHO IN KING ARTHUR’S NAME IS THIS MAN IN OUR HOUSE, WHAT THE CRAP DO YOU KNOW THAT YOU AREN’T TELLING ME, AND FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS THAT KEEP US SANE WHAT HELL IS GOING ON!”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Well, that’s a crappy deal. Here you have a dad who can turn into this cool wolf thingy and you can’t even get a sexy, bushy tail,” Jen said as she and Sally walked into the living room.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Every page-turning word. I wanted to pop some popcorn. I figured there might be some tense moments and you know I eat when I’m tense, but goody two shoes here wouldn’t let me,” Jen said irritably.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“We know, sweetie. But see, since it was Jacque finding out it was her dad who gets hairy, not yours, I didn’t really care if you were tense.”
  

Things We Learned:

  • Jacque was actually freaked out by the events that took place in the park
  • The idea of Fane leaving causes Jacque actual pain
  • Sorin has arrived
  • Lilly never planned to tell Jacque the truth about her father
  • Jacque realizes that her mom still loves her father
  • Although Lilly was originally angry when Fane first arrived, she has come to terms with it
  • Jacque gets sarcastic when she is freaked out (and under many other circumstances)
  • Jennifer eats when she is tense
  • Jacque finds out that her dad left because he found his true mate, and never found out about her
  • The thought of life without Fane makes it hard for Jacque to breathe

No comments:

Post a Comment